eide cd-rw rfi?

Paul larkin at jps.net
Thu Mar 22 15:28:42 PST 2001

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha EIDE 8x8x24 CD-RW online.  ZD's
compatibility chart lists the SCSI version as Linux compatible, but
doesn't list the EIDE (both are model 8824, -E for EIDE, -S for SCSI).
Do you think I'd be safe in getting the EIDE model?  I'm a Linux newbie
& am still attempting my 1st install.  Assuming I get the drive, I don't
need any additional Linux software  than what's on the CDs of Linux
flavors I've got (Caldera, Corel, Debian GNU), right?  Do I assume an
internal EIDE CD-RW is bootable?  If not, would the following work:  I
also have an ext. SCSI CD player I know IS bootable in MS DOS/Win, but
there's no drivers for it in Linux. (I have Adaptec SCO Unix drivers on
floppy, but floppy can't be read on DOS/win PC.  And the Unix drivers
might not work anyway here, right?) So I could use the SCSI CD to start
the install, and the install would "see" the internal Linux-compatible
CD-RW at the appropriate point, right?  And we could continue merrily on
our way to finish the install...?
Thank you.