[NBLUG] Article "Why BSD will never be as secure as Linux"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 14 02:35:40 PDT 2001

begin ME quotation:

> One of the plusses of the above article is that it includes links to
> system additions to improve system security with tools "off the shelf" in
> a short one-shot article....

Additions that Kurt, characteristically, speaks of in a generally
laudatory fashion without a great deal of apparent understanding of
their merits.  He's an avid collector of security trinkets.  For
meaningful security information, look elsewhere.

> Certainly, nobody should expect system security to be completed by
> following information from one article, but it is a place for the
> beginner to start.

No, it is a very bad place for a beginner to start.  A _useful_ place to
start would be one or two of the good Unix security books, such as
Chapman's.  And there are much, much more generally useful sites than
Kurts, and less treacherous guides to the topic than his articles.

It's late, I'm tired, and I don't have the time to hold forth on this
subject further.

--
Cheers,     Microsoft Corporation Gandhi-o-meter, revision 2001-05-03 beta01.
Rick Moen  "They ignore you." "They laugh at you." "They fight you." "You win."