Can I install a DEB package under Red Hat 7.1?

Rob Flickenger rob at oreillynet.com
Sat May 19 18:35:37 PDT 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Is there any easy way to make a Red Hat system capable of working with DEB
> packages?

I've heard that the alien package is capable of transmuting any package
format into any other (just freshmeat for alien)...  I found it big and
confusing, but it can allegedly do it.

As it turns out, .deb's are just ar archives.  Try 'ar tv filename.deb' to
view the contents, and 'ar xv filename.deb' to extract them.

And if you're sick of .rpm's, rpm2tgz does a nice, quick job of turning
this bizarre cpio variant into a simple tgz...  ;)

--Rob
(Slack is as Slack does...)