This penguin walks on a bed of blue screens of death!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Oct 5 15:38:14 PDT 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> The third harddrive is an older SCSI, but do you really think that a SCSI-3
> would work on a 486?

Actually, if you have more than 3 clients connected to that server, each
client will probably not feel very responsive for heavy file
access/loading - - especially over a larger network with a larger
collision domain and greater utilization by other users to better
approximate user saturation. A SCSI controller may speed things up a bit,
but the best speedups would likely be found in the thernet/network
(switched) with multiple interfaced and load balanced support *and* a fast
bus on the server. Disk access is still likely an issue, but probably
won't show up so much until the other bottlenecks are addressed.

> One IDE controller, don't know what kind (but it's not built into the
> motherboard):

If it is a very long card with what looks like a 16bit ISA with an extra
part below it for the long card to plug into as well, then possibly VLB.
(Very Long Bus)

> hda: 250MB total capacity, one 32MB swap partition, the other 218MB are used
> by the root filesystem (ext2 filesystem).
> No hdb.

That is good for the local server sysem, but only with the test
server. Once you start adding clients and users using those clients
booting, and loading files/libs, things will slow down.

> Two SCSI harddrives on an Adaptec AHA-something ISA controller:
> sda: 2GB total capacity, 1GB for /usr (reiserfs filesystem), 1GB for /home
> (reiserfs filesystem).
> sdb: 3GB total capacity, all used by /netboot (ext2 filesystem).  /netboot
> is the filesystem used by the netbooting workstations.

out of all the drive interfaces on the 486 you mention, the SCSI interface
serems likely the best for the exported net boot root, but with the
disclaimer stated about about adding many users causing contention for
resource issues on the server/network.

> >From: ME <dugan at passwall.com>
> >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
> >And what if I dont want to get my own copy of MS INternet
> >explorer. Huh? May as well say, "Come get your free nuclear waste! Free
> >biohazard baggie with random hospital trash included for free!
>
> The Hotmail server tagged that onto the end of the message; I can't stop it.
>   If I thought that any Microsoft products and/or services worked (except
> Hotmail, which I hear runs on BSD and Qmail), I wouldn't be trying to
> introduce Linux into our schools.  It will probably tag that same MSN
> Explorer message onto the end of this message, too.

Oh, I was joking with the comments above. I know that it is included on
messages from people's accounts at hotmail.com and that you did not
include it on your own.