Update: This penguin xfs server CRASH

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:12:40 PDT 2001

I found an article that said that sometimes xfs would crash if it was
talking to X on port -1, rather than on port 7100 (what the heck is port -1,
anyway?).  I think that the workstation is set up to use port 7100, but I
did notice that xfs was not listening to TCP ports "for security reasons".
I turned listening on TCP ports back on so that when I get to look at it on
Monday, I can see if that makes it work correctly.

The length of the catalogue probably is due to the fact that I installed
AbiWord, Gnumeric, KOffice, and every other decent open-source productivity
application that I could fit on a 3GB hard drive.  I like to be thourogh.

Do you know of any other programs that require unscaled fonts?  The same
kind of crash happened when I ran Red Carpet (the Ximian update agent); xfs
dropped dead just like when I ran Netscape.

I would be inclined to use a different web browser anyway, such as
Konqueror, but Netscape is the only web browser that I could expect most
people to recognize in a 'Programs' menu.  And on a computer with 64MB of
RAM, Mozilla is no better than Netscape (excpet that it has fewer memory
leaks and won't crash as quickly).