dual boot for me, please

Brian Lintz beejlintz at MauiMail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:26:00 PDT 2001

Hello happy Talk at nblug readers,
     I had a dual boot setup at home -- Linux, Win 95, and Win NT.
(I mean a triple boot...!) I had Storm linux which cd-rom I got
last year at the San Jose Linux conference. I have a 400 MB
partition for linux and this is fine since I mainly play the
games for relaxation.
     Last week when I started linux it would not start xterm.
After a few days of periodically knocking about, I learned that
about the only thing that worked on the command line was su so
that I could get to root level and shutdown. Response to commands
was a.) [fill in the blank] not found, 2.) file or directory
does not exist, or third) no action -- the running software
equivalent of duh.
     I decided to blow Storm out of the water (metaphorically.)
I dug up the Caldera 2.3 Linux that I picked up at the May NBLUG
meeting -- thank you, Dustin.
     I loaded Caldera Linux. It found the existing linux
partition and took to home there. Part of the process of loading
is that at the very end linux comes up. It looked very nice.
     Today I find that as I start my computer, I cannot get past
the first ten seconds or so of loading: Just as it finishes the
line "Verifying DMI pool data", it now shows on a new line "LI".
The cursor just blinks after the "I" and the computer hums idly.
I recall that during the loading of Caldera Linux I had prepared
the LILO page -- the linux installation program had found
that Windows also existed, and I thought that things were
proceeding well.
     How can I get to anything on my computer?
     What do I need to do to dual boot Linux with Windows here?
     I would also like to go back to Storm Linux because I could
only install the minimal configuration of Caldera Linux (all
other configurations were grayed out) and this minimal install
has zero games.
     Thanks very much.
     Sincerely,
     Brian Lintz