USB and redhat 7.2 and eth0/1

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Fri Oct 26 10:03:25 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:13:58PM -0700, Troy Engel wrote:
> "Jake" <Jake at callatg.com> wrote:
> >
> > However I can't seem to get USB to work on the system. I was hoping to
> > use an external usb mouse when I found out it wasn't getting power!
> > Imagine my
>
> Add this:
>
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>
> to your /etc/modules.conf, run 'depmod -a' and it'll come up on boot.
> Without rebooting, just 'modprobe usb-uhci' to get the core loaded, and it
> should automagically load the proper USB device driver for your mouse.
> YMMV.

This assumes that particular Sony laptop uses that USB controller.  Doing
some quick Google searches, it sounds like this laptop is fairly new.  Sony
equipment tend to have lot's of new hardware in them when they come out that
tend to drive kernel developers bonkers...course that may only hold true for
CERTAIN new Sony products, but it's been the case in the past at least.

I did take a look at the Linux Laptops page (http://www.linux-laptop.net/)
and did not see ANYONE with a page about the XG29....a couple (one of which
doesn't work) about the XG28, but that doesn't do you any good.

I'd suspect that if Troy's suggestion doesn't work, that you may be screwed
for USB support for the time being until someone works out a driver for the
USB controller chipset Sony used.

-Dustin