xfs starts..and dies

Joseph McCarty jatlee at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 14 21:01:23 PDT 2002

Running RH 7.2, my font server, xfs, has stopped starting and subsequently,
X won't start because it can't find fonts.

Watching the boot process "Starting xfs" comes up [ok].  Running
"service --status-all" yields "xfs    dead but pid exits."  I can restart
xfs, but the service report again yields the same report.

I found a report of this problem in an XFree86.org bulliten board at
http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/fonts/2002-March/001408.html.  I have
ximian desktop installed, but it has run fine for weeks until now.  I have
looked at the "catalog" contents for /etc/X11/fs/config, and it seems ok.

I also installed an update for xfs from redhat,
XFree86-xfs-4.1.0-15.i386.rpm.  I had renamed the config file to be able to
compare it with the new one.  The two are identical.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

JM