Partitions, MBR, etc.

Rick ricklyb at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 00:48:48 PDT 2002

Thanks for your suggestions.

--- "Mark K. Kim" <markslist at cbreak.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Rick wrote:
>
> > Q 1.  Is there a simple way to backup and
> > restore the MBR, using floppy, to stave off
> > potential disaster?
>
> What do you mean by restore the MBR?  Restore to LILO or Windows
> default?

Since I don't know much about fdisk, and fear that a slip will trash
the system, the idea is to provide a way to back up to the
original state.
i.e. backup the MBR (and partition info.) to floppy;
run fdisk; then be able to restore the original MBR (and partition
info.) if necessary.

> To restore to Windows default, get a floppy, format it under Windows
> with
> the "transfer system files" option.  Copy over FDISK.EXE from
> "c:\windows\command" (under Win95, Win98, and WinMe; search for
> FDISK.EXE
> on other Windows) to the floppy.  If something goes wrong, boot with
> the
> floppy, and type "fdisk /mbr".  You'll be right back to being able to
> boot
> Windows.

No, I don't care about Windows...

> To restore to LILO, it's best to get a bootable Linux rescue CD.
> You can use it to switch over to your hard drive's Linux system, then
> reinstall LILO.  The process I use is something like this:
>
>    1. Use bootable Linux CD to boot into Linux.
>    2. Mount the hard drive's root Linux partition.
>    3. Chroot to make the hard drive's root Linux partition into the
>       effective root.
>    4. Run `lilo`.

Thanks, this sounds more like what I needed.  Is it functionally
equivalent to the backup/restore described above?
Are special options needed as parameters for lilo?

I've never seen a bootable Linux rescue CD.  Are you referring to
something like Knoppix 3.1, which has been mentioned here recently?
Or, where could I get such a critter?