Configuring SCSI CD-ROM drives

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 16:05:26 PDT 2002

>From: ME <dugan at passwall.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: Configuring SCSI CD-ROM drives
>Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:04:59 -0700 (PDT)
> > It looks like it successfully detected all 7 CD-ROM drives and set up 4
>of
> > them.  It looks to me like they should be accessible at /dev/sr1,
>/dev/sr2,
> > /dev/sr3, and /dev/sr4, but none of those devices seem to exist.
>
>Did not think to ask if you are running devfs. I dont use that, I use the
>older "/dev". The next part makes the assumption you do too.

Nope, I'm not using devfs either.

>You may need to make the devices.
>
>On my system, /dev/sr* are sym links to /dev/scd*
>
># cd /dev
># ./MAKEDEV sr*

It doesn't look like that accomplished anything.  Although I see that there
are some devices that look like /dev/srnd* numbered 0-7.  Could they be
related?

>and/or
># ./MAKEDEV scd*

It looks like they're all already in place.  Just to be sure that there's
enough, though, I added an scd8 to the directory.

>On my system, scd are block special devices Major 11, minor 0-16
>If you cant make the devices with MAKEDEV from the /dev/ dir, then you can
>use mknod.
>
># mknod -m 660 /dev/scd0 b 11 0
># ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/sr0
># mknod -m 660 /dev/scd1 b 11 1
># ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/sr1
># mknod -m 660 /dev/scd2 b 11 2
># ln -s /dev/scc2 /dev/sr2

It looks like MAKEDEV is accomplishing all that.

> > And why would it detect 7 SCSI devices but only set up 4 or them?
>
>Not sure. Are you missing /dev/*'s that go higher than 3 in /dev/ ?

I don't think so.  At least not in scd* and srnd*.