The other half looks at OSS

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri Dec 6 08:59:40 PST 2002

i'm not so sure that the hackers addressed in the referenced paper are
separated from the commercial "professionals" in the wider scope of
the authors' attempt to communicate.  a previous paper by the authors
is sumarized below:

Ethnomethodologically Informed Ethnography and Information System Design

Andy Crabtree, David M. Nichols, Jon O'Brien, Mark Rouncefield, and Michael
B. Twidale

Crabtree et al. object to traditional ethnographic analysis as applied to
information problems on the basis that the application of pre-defined rules
and procedures yields an organization of the activity observed from the point
of view of the analyst rather than that of the participants. Such a
``constructive analysis'' approach does not describe the actual activities,
but in the name of objectivity imposes a structure which obscures the real
world practices through which subjects make sense of their surroundings,
and produce information.

Ethnomethodology emphasizes rigorous thick description of local practices by
assembling concrete cases of preformed activity as the direct units of
analysis. EM analysis attempts to generate a description in great detail of
how the described activity could be reproduced in and through the same
practices. Such description provides a sense of the real world aspects of
a socially organized setting to systems designers and thus provides the
exceptions, contradictions, and contingencies of the activities that
otherwise might not be evident. Practitioners of ethnography and computer
system design have quite different cultures but communication can lead to
far better design practices.

###

-ron