RH 8 not going down gracefully

Joseph McCarty jatlee at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 16 08:13:02 PST 2002

Despite many cups of mark, I still can't find my brain.

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d is indeed populated with K-scripts.  CTRL ALT F2 brings no
response.  And  /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf looks the same as on my 7.3 box.
There is no [system] heading in either file.

I openned a root shell from KDE desktop, and executed "shutdown -r now."
The usual system message appeared announcing imminent shutdown, and the GUI
screen dropped to an unusual black and white pattern covering the entire
screent, rows of closely spaced vertical white lines about 50 pixels high,
every other one having a tiny square at the botttom, against a black
background.  I could just a vertical column of scrolling yellow vertical
lines moved down about half the screen, perhaps being "[ok]" scrolling down
with lines of text underneath the pattern, as in a normal shutdown.

The machine then rebooted normally, without a file system restoration.

Help me, Mr. (and Ms-es) Wizards!

Joe McCarty
jatlee at pacbell.net
707-545-2462