Kernel 2.4.18-18 Compile Problems..

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Dec 18 12:51:33 PST 2002

I am in the middle of studying for finals right now, but can try to offer
more suggestions for a bit...

An odd question, but I'll ask anyway... When you did the make menuconfig,
did you leave anything as a module? If everything is part of a static
kernel, and you dont have any module-ized drivers, then make modules will
fail (since it does not have any modules to make.) This does not look like
the output from when you try to make modules without any drivers set as
modules, but I want to ask anyway as I have not seen that output since 2.0
kernels or maybe 2.2...

(There is little -functionally- bad about not using modules. A kernel
without modules can often work as well as a kernel with modules. There are
plusses and minuses to this issue/decision. I make all of my drivers that
are connected to my box static in their inclusion to my kernel. Any
peripherals that can be hot-swapped I make into modules. The only thing
that I almost always make into a module is "appletalk". There are very
good plusses to making everything that can be a module, a module.)

Another question, have you considered upgrading your gcc if and update is
available? Also, you may want to examine installation of the kernel
headers for the kernel you are using, if you are using a packaged kernel.
(The path I see with "linux-2.4.18-18.7.x" looks a lot like a redhat
kernel source tree name. Most of the kernels I get from kernel.org extract
to just use the name "linux" or "linux-2.4.20" or the like, but no extra
digits like "-18.7.x".

-ME