Strange crashes that make me say "huh?"

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:18:03 PST 2002

I just updated a bunch of software packages on my computer (RedHat 7.2 on an
Athlon/1GHz, GNOME-related updates came from Ximian Red Carpet, all other
came from Red Hat Network), and ever since I've been having having totally
unexplainable lock-ups that I can only resolve with a reboot (either using
the reset button or the magic SysRq kjey).  I have no idea what's going on
because I can't find anything in my kernel logs that would explain it, but I
do know that it's not just an X server crash because I can't ping the
computer when one of these lock-ups occurrs.

I only have a few bits of information.  Among the upgrades was a new build
of the kernel.  I tried re-compiling it with all the debugging features, and
still found nothing.  I then tried re-compiling the kernel for a 386, and
that kernel failed to boot (some sort of problem with ext3fs).  After about
half a dozen kernel re-compiles, I'm at the same place I started at.

There is one thing that may be a clue (but I don't know what it means): Just
for the heck of it, I tried logging into KDE instead of GNOME, and for the
last half an hour or so (usually it would crash within 10 minutes of login),
it's still running fine.  At least I seem to be up and running again, but I
have no idea how or why!

Has anyone ran into problems like this before?  Does anyone see anything
happening that I don't?