Proxy server question.

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jan 7 16:54:09 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:35:38PM -0800, Julian Plamann wrote:
> I've recently been playing with Squid and have a simple caching-proxy
> server set up here at my house. What I'd like to know is whether it's
> possible to use an external proxy server from within a network behind a
> transparent proxy server. E.G. bypassing the transparent proxy with the
> use of another proxy specified in a web browser.

You can probably do it just fine if you use a port that the transparent
proxy doesn't know about.  (in other words, not port 80)  Otherwise the
transparent proxy will see your attempts to get to another proxy server as
being HTTP requests that it should proxy for you.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell