GNOME or GTK?

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed Jan 30 08:40:59 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:09:35AM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> While looking for new apps to install, I've noticed that some
> graphical apps are available in a GNOME version and a GTK
> version. Obviously, both will work in a GNOME environment, but
> what's the difference between the two? What are the pros and cons
> of choosing one over the other?

Gtk+ is a popular graphics library to use, even with apps that don't
integrate into GNOME at all.  With most of those, if you're running GNOME,
you'll want the GNOME version.  Linking with the GNOME libraries in addition
to the Gtk+ libraries gives better integration with the rest of your
desktop.  If you're not using GNOME (especially if you don't even have it
installed), then you're better off with the Gtk-only version, because
linking to the GNOME libraries would require (a) using perfectly good memory
for little purpose and (b) using perfectly good hard drive space to keep
libraries you're not *really* using around.

Basically, if you use GNOME and there's two choices like that, get the GNOME
version.  If you don't use GNOME, get the GTK version.  If you have GNOME
installed but don't usually use GNOME, then I'm not sure what would be best.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell