DSL and Linux questions...

Christopher White cwhite at softquad.com
Thu Jan 31 15:10:46 PST 2002

Another 2 sense worth:

> Yet another vote for sonic.  Except for your personal information,
> Sonic posts all the data necessary to set up their service.  If
> for any reason you need it again, any machine that can get to the
> web can give you the common data for setting up your machine.
>
> At home I use sonic DSL and it has been excellent.  The external
> DSL modem with ethernet output (LAN) allows easy insertion of
> a hardware firewall (or firewall/router) to allow a private
> network.  The private network can consist of Linux and Microsoft
> (and I assume Macintosh or any TCP/IP devices).  Today there are
> even firewall/router/wireless boxes that are not very expensive.

I'm using Linux as my firewall router.  I've used it with Pac Bell (a
company I'll never do broadband business with again), Sonic.net, and ATG.
I'm currently using ATG because Sonic doesn't do iDSL, and, again, Pac Bell
will never receive another penny for broadband from me.  They were ignorant
and unhelpful, to say the least.  If you have ATG at work, you can get ATG
DSL at home (they normally only accept business clients).  Otherwise Sonic
is the way to go.  And most, if not all, of their servers are running Linux.
Sonic may not support it directly, but it will work.  I've always had a
static IP address, so I can't tell you about their DHCP.

As far as heterogonous networks (Linux, Windoze, Mac), I have all these OSes
at home and in the office, and they all work fine with a Linux
firewall/router.  The only complaint I have is that I can't do Micro$oft VPN
through the Linux firewall (I'm using ipchains).  Anyone know how to do
this?

--Chris

Christopher T. White
Manager of System Administration