RPM apt

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jul 22 13:41:05 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:23:47PM -0700, tengel wrote:
> FYI, the proper provides is "smtpdaemon" for most stuff, allowing you to interchange qmail/exim//postfix/sendmail.  Try that instead, perhaps.

It sounds to me like it's a badly done squirrelmail package in general,
actually.

a) it shouldn't look for "sendmail", it should look for "smtpdaemon".
b) squirrelmail can be configured to work just great with no SMTP daemon of
   any kind on the machine it's installed on.  So, it shouldn't be checking
   for an smtpdaemon at all.

On Debian this would be handled by "suggesting" an smtpdaemon instead of
"requiring" one, but RPM doesn't have multiple levels of dependency.
(though, the squirrelmail package in Debian suggests imap-server but doesn't
seem to care about an smtp server or smtpdaemon)

The drawback to having a database keeping track of things is that you have
to use the database to keep track of things.  It's really not all that hard
to throw together either a dummy package or a quick-and-dirty real package
for something you're starting out with only source code for.  Find a few
".spec" files and you've got a great starting point: or find an existing
.spec or .src.rpm for the package you want to install and modify as needed
and build from that.  http://www.qmail.org/rpms/ has a bunch of .src.rpms
and .spec files made for qmail already.  Not hard to customize if you need a
special patch or addon or build option or something.

(it's harder to build packages for Debian, but easier to find them already
packaged for you)
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244