Firewalker reborn, Part 1

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 18:00:12 PST 2002

Thanks especially to the recent massive donation by Tom Rowe, I have amassed
the equipment to rebuild the netbooting server (a.k.a. "Firewalker") that I
demoed at the December meeting.  Among the donations by Tom were 5 SCSI hard
drives and a really nice SCSI controller, so I plugged them into a
motherboard and full-size tower donated by Troy Engel, and I may now have an
even better netbooting server up by next week (I would go for this week, but
I have a term paper due Friday).

I also appear to have the necessary equipment to set up a demo computer in
the library and prove to the last reaches of the school that Linux is better
than Windows and Macintosh.  That shouldn't be too hard to prove,
considering that the domain controller for the library iMacs has a problem
about once every 10 minutes (really!).  Maybe I can even use my netbooting
server to power those iMacs in the future!

However, at the moment, I have a few things I need to figure out:

First of all, as I added new features to the old server, I began to
wishethat I had set up some kind of distributed authentication so that I
could allow users to log into the server via SSH, Telnet, FTP, or whatever,
and have access to all of the files and services that they could get from a
workstation.  Instead, I was forced to make users do remote logins to the
workstations themselves (not the server).  Could I use Kerberos or some
other distributed authentication scheme to better share accounts between the
server and the workstations?  Can anyone tell me how to set up Kerberos?
(both client and server will run Red Hat 7.2)