OK, time to learn how to build a server.

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Mon Mar 4 17:46:19 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:45:06PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 03:16:59PM -0800, Doug Palmer wrote:
> > I've been using Linux in various distros for a long time, but
> > always as a workstation. Today I registered my first domain name
> > and I want to set up http and mail services. Which book do I start
> > with?
>
> I don't know about any books, but for mail I recommend postfix
> (www.postfix.org), for http I recommend thttpd (www.acme.com).
>
> postfix is fast, easy, and secure.  qmail is secure, and easy if you
> have debian and bitch if you are using some other linux.  sendmail
> is insane.  I don't know much about exim.

I haven't heard of any installation problems (from source) with any of
the major dists.  I have installed it from source and packages on
redhat (x86 and UltraSparc [src only]) and debian.  There are pre-made
packages available for both redhat and debian, so they both only
require that you install a package (or three), which is easier with
debian in my opinion, but only because debian make installing packages
easier.

qmail has never had a security hole (and if you do find one, the
author will give you $500).  The same can't be said for any other
widely used MTA.  qmail has been a complete, bug free implementation
since 19980615, which is the last time there was a release.  postfix
seems to get an update every 1-3 months.  If easier means upgrading
every 3 months to stay current, then I guess postfix is easier.

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
Pascal is not a high-level language.
		-- Steven Feiner