Linux on an iMac?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:00:02 PST 2002

There are quite a few iMacs at RCHS, and they have a security program called
On Guard, which makes a feeble attempt at providing UNIX-level security on
MacOS (prior to MacOS X, at least).  However, On Guard causes all sorts of
performance and stability problems, not to mention that it's a pain to get
anything done when it does work.  If I could get a boot CD for a Mac, I
could disable On Guard easily, but I hope to find a less drastic solution.

I know that Linux can run on some PowerPC-based systems.  Has anyone tried
running Linux on such a system?  Can anyone recommend a particular distro
for PPC systems?  Are there any issues that I should know about before I try
it?

Also, is there anything available that would let me emulate a PPC system on
my Athlon computer at home (something similar to VMWare, but for virtual
Macs)?