(Re-)learning NFS

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:39:08 PST 2002

O.K., if I can get my hands on an iMac to test netbooting, I can set up
netbooting clients so that Intel/AMD-based PC's boot from a volume on the
server like /pcboot, and Macintoshes boot from a volume like /macboot.  I
think I can also let them share the same /home volume.  I don't think that
anyone could rival a system like that using NT or whatever they used as the
domain controller for the library iMacs.

The problem now is that I can't remember how I got NFS to work on my old
server.  I expected it to be easier this time, because I didn't have to do
anything crazy to fit RedHat 7.2 on the new server (the old server only had
16MB of RAM, this new one has 48MB), but when I try to mount an NFS volume,
I find myself getting the following error message and a feeling of Deja Vu:
mount: RPC: Timed out

And, yes, nfsd (kernel-space) is running on running on the server, the
client kernel supports NFS, and there are no firewalls interfering with
them.  Both computers are using kernel 2.4.9 (as shipped in the most recent
RHN errata).

This doesn't make any sense to me.  I already use NFS to share a volume of
MP3's on my home computers, and it worked perfectly on the first try.  As
far as I can tell, the setup is identical in both cases, but it doesn't work
on my new server.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?