What the heck is a bus error?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 17:35:56 PST 2002

Well, I started up one of the netbooting workstations, and everything worked
fine until it ran the initscripts.  I kept getting messages from various
programs (e.g. mount) that would die with a "Bus error".  I have no idea
what that means, and as a result, I have no idea how to correct it?

Can anyone tell me what "Bus error" means, and/or what could be causing
these errors?  The entire client system was copied off of Isildur (my best
standalone workstation), and except for /etc/fstab and /etc/raidtab, it is
identical to the setup on Isildur, which works perfectly.