lpd problems

Thomas A. Rice tar at sonic.net
Sun May 5 08:24:13 PDT 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 03:44 pm, you wrote:
> This is probably a newbie question:
> Just a few weeks ago I was printing just fine, but for some reason I
> can't print now. I am running RedHat kernal version 2.4.7-10 and using
> an HP DeskJet855C configured using the RedHat printconf tool, which
> seems to work fine until I print a test page.

I'm using an 855C with RH7.2 (2.4.7-10 i686) with a direct parallel
cable and the printing connection works when using the printconf
tool to print the test page. If others suggestions don't work, a comparison
between our system file permissons, settings, etc. might help.
I have it set to use a local queue on /dev/lp0 with the cdj850 driver
and a gamma correction of 1.7 .
I know I did need to do lpd restarts to re-awaken things if I messed up a
direct device access.

When you get this working, I'd be interested in finding out if you find
an acceptable group of settings for color printing. While I've gotten
excellent printing from an hp694C, my 855C gives poor color at best..
It is one of the printers that is not under the set supported by HP's linux
inkjet printer drivers for linux work.

Tom Rice
tar at sonic.net