lpd problems

Adam Robertson adamr at sonic.net
Mon May 6 22:37:18 PDT 2002

  I stopped and restarted lpd and the printer still doesn't work.
I do have a local printer (see the  the /etc/printcap file below).
....Ah! I just got a few lines to print using
 >cat ascii_file> /dev/lp0, but only the first line or two came out
before I saw the orange light on the printer blinking failure. Printing
directly to /dev/lp0 doesn't work consistenly. Only some files will give
any ouput, which is really weird. I am beginning to suspect the printer
memory or the printer cable. Tomorrow I will try a different cable and
see if I get better results. The printer will print its own test page
from it's self check, lpd seem to be running just fine. I don't have
windoze so I can't check using another OS.
    How is CUPS? Is it better than lprng?

/etc/printcap reads as follows:
Adam855:\
        :sh:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Adam855:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Adam855/Adam855.acct:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

-Adam