Mandrake-printer question

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sun May 12 19:44:02 PDT 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 05:35:34AM -0400, cal herrmann wrote:
> I got tangled-up trying to change a printer (ran out of ink in one), did
> something wrong; printer now spits out paper until empty. How do I kill
> the process? Jobs doesn't give me anything running to kill.

Check "lpq"; if there's a job in the queue you can use "lprm" to kill it.

If there's nothing in the print queue for the printer, it's possible that
you managed to just send a whole lot of pagefeeds or linefeeds to the
printer port so the kernel's got them all queued up, waiting, which means
you might need to "rmmod parport ; rmmod lp ; rmmod parport" to get that
stuff out of the way.  And if that doesn't work you might have to resort to
shutting down.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell