Meeting

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed May 15 09:05:35 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:13:55PM -0700, ME wrote:
[snip - various good ideas and a realistic list of presidential requirements]
> Notice however, extreme technical qualifications are not necessary! You do
> not need to be a Linux god or Linux Guru to lead. (Granted, our present
> president is a profession *NIX admin, and it certainly can help the
> process, but is not absolutely as critical as the other items above!)

Absolutely.  You need to know enough about Linux that your Linux passion is
tempered by a touch of realism.  It'd certainly be helpful if a potential
president at least knew enough to do basic stuff at the commandline, edit an
email to add special headers and stuff like that.  Mostly technical
knowledge is only a requirement for knowing what topics would probably be
interesting to the nerdier parts of the crowd.

That said; we've always *aimed* for a balance of about 50/50 between "geek
topics" and "beginner topics"; I think if that balance had to be thrown off
a little, it be better to have more beginner topics than more advanced
topics.

> I would nominate anyone on our present board for presidential office. They
> have been to all of the meetings (AFAIK - at least all of the meetings I
> have been able to attend, not many lately.) They also seem to do well
> enough keeping things together for Dustin, so they are organized.

Actually, for the most part we're a disorganized bunch of ragamuffins with
no time.

Or maybe that's just me.

I haven't been to a meeting since January; I've had class on Tuesday nights.
I'm *capable* of organization.  I've been pretty organized about doing the
InstallFests; at least by the actual date of the InstallFest.  But I sure
can't be trusted to stay consistently organized for more than a few months
in a row.

I nominate Mike for NBLUG President.

I nominate myself for NBLUG vice-president in charge of periodically
reminding the President about stuff.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell