One last netbooting issue

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri May 24 12:41:16 PDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I think that tweaking /etc/init.d/network may have been the key.  As long as
> eth0 is never tampered with, everything seems to work fine and it does not
> hang at shutdown.

Kewl. You can inore that other message.

> A less severe issue I'm still having concerns throughput.  The speed that
> the system can read and write to the server has not noticeably improved
> since I got the new server, even though the new server can do full duplex
> 100Mb/s and the old one could only do half duplex 10Mb/s.  Is there any way
> that I can find out how fast the network itself can go (besides asking our
> phantom technican)?

bing

NAME
     bing - compute point to point throughput using two sizes of ICMP
     ECHO_REQUEST packets to a pair of remote hosts

install it.
bing yourhostip remotehostip
let it run for a bit
control-c

Can have problems with non-symmtric links such as ADSL that have Tx!=Rx