present efforts on my HP laptop

John Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 15 18:00:05 PST 2002

augie wrote:

>In his message on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:14:20 -0800, John Kohler
><jkohler2 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>It formed a connection in which I could get the HP to ping itself,
>>and the router, but no outside websites.
>>

>are you trying to ping domain names or ip addresses?

First I tried to ping domain names.

>try pinging 208.201.224.14 (ping.sonic.net).

It worked, sort of.

20 packets sent, 10 received 50% loss       time 19116 ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdv= 23.346/26.049/28.768/1.582 ms

This is a similar result when I ping the router from the laptop:  50%
loss (If I ping the same router from the iMac, I get 100%)  This is a
D-link 604 router.

> if that works and pinging
>the domain name doesn't work, then maybe you don't have your dns
>lookup setup. i believe the file is /etc/resolve.conf if that's not
>it, then you should be able to GUI it with netconf. it may be that you
>have to set it up on your router first.

I can get access to the router software from the iMac.  I can put the
http:// in with the address 192.168.0.1 using Netscape or Mozilla and a
router page appears with buttons for LAN and WAN, installation wizard, etc.

I am not sure how to set something up on the router for the hp laptop,
though.

>another thing may be that your route to the outside world is not
>right. do a 'netstat -r' and post back what it returns.

OK, let me try that.

john