present efforts on my HP laptop

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sat Nov 16 22:14:59 PST 2002

I dont know RH, but IMHO this looks wrong.

Default should have a gateway associated with it.

A test:
# route del default gw
# route add default gw 192.168.0.1

(assuming that the ip address of your router is 192.168.0.1)

then run
# route -N
(The -N prevents an attempt for rDNS lookup so that you wont see that
delay of 30 seconds waiting for the lookup to timeout.)

If you see this:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway     Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  U     0      0      0   eth0
0.0.0.0     192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0        UG    0      0      0   eth0

then try:
# ping -c 3 198.78.65.254
or
# traceroute 198.78.65.254

If the ping gets results showing measure of latency or if using
traceroute, you see a path that shows an ip beyond that of your router,
then go to the next step, and try to fire up a web browser and do web
browsing.

(NOTE: all of the above is for *testing* not for final fix. If this works,
then we will need to investigate your network settings as configured from
neat or whatever network tool you used.)