Zaurus feedback

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Nov 25 17:21:19 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:15:58PM -0800, Joseph McCarty wrote:
> What have peoples' experiences been with the Zaurus SL-5500?  Is it
> $250 worth of a happening unit, or just a toy that will fall apart
> soon?

It's a sturdy device -- you won't have any prpblems as far as that goes.
If you're looking for PDA functionality, then you might look for
something else.  The PIM apps are decent, but lack some polish and
features.  Fortunately, there's an free, open source alternative to the
Sharp Rom called, appropriatley, "Open Zaurus"  It's Debian based with
feeds and the whole bit, and I have to say OZ3 is pretty kick ass.
Being OSS, it's only going to get better.

And the things you can do with a Z are damn happenin'  It's a full-on
Linux machine -- you can run PHP/Apache/Mysql on it if you really wanted
to.  Boa is probably a better choice if you want to serve web.

Aside from the normal PDA stuff, I use mine to:
Listen to mp3's with xmms-embedded
Find places to check my mail with Kismet
Print out pictures at Best Buy using the IRDA port :-) joking, but
it does work.
Play Nethack.

In summary: It's very cool; a fun toy and a useful tool.

-ta