SuSE Help Needed

Sue Bennett sbenn at cds1.net
Fri Oct 4 00:30:27 PDT 2002

Hi,

This is my first post to this list.
Although a Unix user at work (Solaris) (not a sys admin) , I am a Linux
newbie.
I have SuSE 8.0.

I am writing this via Internet Explorer :-(  because my problem is trying to
connect to my dial-up ISP.  It took me awhile, but I finally found a
non-win-modem and installed it the other night.  I used YAST to do the
configurations for the modem and the dial-up configurations.

The modem dials, squeeks and sqawks, but no usable connection is
established.  I found the log for this activity.  It appears I am making
connection with my ISP.  A message is sent welcoming me.  I then see a line
in the log where the server asks for the user id.  The odd thing is that my
system responds with a default user_id of "dummy" rather my user_id "sbenn"
which I entered in the "User Id" field on the set-up screen.  The ISP server
then asks for a password.  I do not see a password being sent by my system
but that my be due to encryption.  (At least I hope it is encrypted.)  The
ISP server responds that it is an invalid user_id/password.  The process
occurs 3 times and then it hangs up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sue