SuSE Help Needed

dugan at passwall.com dugan at passwall.com
Fri Oct 4 01:12:04 PDT 2002

Hello and welcome to the list!
(more below)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:30:27AM -0700, Sue Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to this list.
> Although a Unix user at work (Solaris) (not a sys admin) , I am a Linux
> newbie.
> I have SuSE 8.0.
>
> I am writing this via Internet Explorer :-(  because my problem is trying to
> connect to my dial-up ISP.  It took me awhile, but I finally found a
> non-win-modem and installed it the other night.  I used YAST to do the
> configurations for the modem and the dial-up configurations.
>
> The modem dials, squeeks and sqawks, but no usable connection is
> established.  I found the log for this activity.  It appears I am making
> connection with my ISP.  A message is sent welcoming me.  I then see a line
> in the log where the server asks for the user id.  The odd thing is that my
> system responds with a default user_id of "dummy" rather my user_id "sbenn"
> which I entered in the "User Id" field on the set-up screen.  The ISP server
> then asks for a password.  I do not see a password being sent by my system
> but that my be due to encryption.  (At least I hope it is encrypted.)  The
> ISP server responds that it is an invalid user_id/password.  The process
> occurs 3 times and then it hangs up.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have not used SuSE or YAST, but have some suggestions none-the-less.
YAST may just be a front end to creating chat files and using "chat" or
some other expect based scripted language.

First, YAST will likely need to modify system files, so you will
probably want to run it as root. sudo, or "su -" from within a shell and
making sure your DISPLAY variable works are two possible choices.
Without access to modify the system config files, changes you enter for
your ISP connection will likely not be used, but instead lead to
defaults much like what you saw.

Does YAST do analog modem connections, or is it just for NICs?

If YAST is only for LAN connections, "man -k ppp" looking for ppp
configuration tools may be helpful.

For Debian, pppconfig‰‰‰‰‰ is a text-based tool for configuring
dialup connections. Actually, it is rathernice, and may do the same as
YAST, but not look as sexy. pppconfig uses chat and stores its
chatscripts in /etc/chatscripts.

For people with even a minimal amount of experience with computers (I
know you have much more than the average, so I'll try to avoid
oversimplification as I do when I dont know what the other person
knows), theck out /etc/chatscripts, or do a locate for "chatscripts" and
examinethe contents. Perhaps one of the names will be that of the
connection you created. If so, you can use an editor and modify the
content to replace "dummy" for your real username.

The general format for chat files often include 4 parts:
chat variables
comments
what to expect
what to send

There are of course more things than these, but they cover most of what
you would see.

Then for analog PPP connections, you have other variations which include
authentication systems like CHAP, PAP, and menu system
"login:/Password:"

More ideas with more feedback from you. :-)

-ME