When IDG goes too far...

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com
Thu Sep 5 09:54:26 PDT 2002

Coming from someone that is the owner of a company
as well as someone who has attended the LWE's in the
past here is my $0.02.

Part of being an exhibitor at the LWE, IDG gives us
the printout of any and all cards swiped at a booth.
The card contains any information that the attendee
has used to register for the LWE.  ITEC has used this
information for marketing purposes (normally postal
flyers), however, we also take the time to review the
list so that we may send our information to the appropriate
people and companies/groups.  Most marketing folks do
not do this I have noticed, which is a pity since I
am for one again spam related material, plus wasting
resources (and $$) on contacting groups that may not
be interested.

On this note, I would have to agree with Dustin, do
be careful on the information you put on registration
forms.  Generally, a polite, "I am not interested.  Please
remove me from your call list." response to phone
solicitations will work (being based in Colorado, there
is a state "no call" solicitation law actually; quite
nice now I must say).

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The I.T.E.C. Company