schools &/or municipalities using linux

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:23:10 PDT 2002

Unfortunately, the only one who knows how to maintain Rancho's Linux systems
(that's me) graduated back in June.  Though I imagine they're still using at
least two of the three Linux-based systems that I set up for them.

I set up three computers for them:
ISILDUR:  A fairly powerful standalone workstation currently in use by a
biology teacher.  I believe that he teaches Freshman/Sophomore biology and
AP biology.  It's a little slow at startup, but it does everything that they
need without problems.
STRIDER:  A lean web-browsing workstation currently in the faculty room.  It
was suggested that it could be used to look up information during staff
meetings (e.g. the California education laws), but of course, everyone
loathes the faculty room and I don't know how much use they get out of it.
PALANTIR: Built to be a netbooting server; it seems to work decently, but
the WinNT workstations that it was supposed to serve turned out not to have
enough memory to netboot reliably (64MB of RAM with no swap).  I was able to
upgrade one of the WinNT workstations to 128MB, and it worked fine.
However, I doubt that anyone who is still there has the proficiency to do
anything useful with it now.

I would be willing to help maintain them, since I'm going to a local college
(SRJC), but I have 20 units and very little spare time.  And I get the
feeling that Rancho's official technician is afraid of me.