NBLUG Mandrake mirror report

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Sep 26 11:36:32 PDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:52:07AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:

} Any suggestions on what to drop?  I'm inclined to drop Ximian outright,

Yes definately.  With the newer distributions with gnome included there
is no point.  With RedHat 6.2 it served a purpose, but it broke last
time I tried to use it anyway, and it makes a nightmare out of upgrading
redhat.  Ximian is useless at best at this point.

} RedHat updates other than 6.2, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.x, and
} kernel.org/linux/kernel/people.  Maybe restrict the kernel mirroring down to
} 2.4 and 2.5 (and any 2.6 or 3.0 that happens to come along later).
} (dropping 2.0 and 2.2, as well as dropping testing, ports, crypto, Historic,
} etc.)  That'd free up 3 to 4GB of space...

It's nice to have the latest 2.2 kernel (since that's what I use), but I
don't need an archive of all the old 2.2 kernels, and I'd ditch 2.0
completely.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com