[NBLUG/talk] Soundblaster Audigy & Mandrake 9.1

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Apr 2 08:43:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:43:57PM -0800, Ron Balch wrote:
> I am not sure if ALSA is on or not, and being the newbie I am, I am not
> sure how to do that.

I'm not sure what that is either, sorry.

> I reviewed the text dumps that you outlined, and from
> what I can tell it looks to me like the proper audigy info is being
> started, but I could definitely be mistaken.

Well, I looked at the files in the tar, and found this:

lspci.txt:
02:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

However...

mod.txt:
sound                  70644   0  [audigy]
es1371                 29000   1
soundcore               6276   0  [audigy sound es1371]
ac97_codec             12488   0  [audigy es1371]

I believe "es1371" is the soundblaster live driver, which would seem to
indicate the problem found by "ME" (dugan) with it loading the wrong driver.
(I have an SB live, and it uses an es1370 driver.)

The question is this:  does the es1371 driver work with the es5880 chipset?
However, that may be a red herring...

You've also got this in devopen.txt:
artsd     2908   badogg    8w   CHR       14,3              1501 /dev/sound/dsp

Which, as mr. "ME" wrote:
> (lsof is to "list open files" check out the man pages. What we are doing
> here, is trying to see if there is a process that has opened your audio
> devices and is blocking use to other apps. Things like "esd" and other
> daemonized sound services are examples of processes that might be listed.)

...which he has apparently nailed.

As a test, try doing this:

# (stop artsd -- in Redhat, one would use something like "service arts stop"
 -- not sure what one would do in Mandrake.)

$ cat /etc/profile > /dev/sound/dsp

Does it give you an error?  If so, what?  (If audio is working, it should
give you a short burst of noise.)

 -Scott