[NBLUG/talk] Debian vs. Others

Chris White Chris.White at corel.com
Wed Apr 2 13:55:01 PST 2003

As an aside to this discussion, I noticed that Mark was using Red Hat 9.  I can't seem to locate it on Red Hat's Web site (and their FTP server has been full up), but I tried http://mirror.nblug.org and found it.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I at first I wasn't able to download it.  The HTTP server says the files are forbidden.  Then I tried a Linux ftp client.  I can't do an ls on the ftp server, nor can I download any files.

ftp> ls *.iso
227 Entering Passive Mode (208,201,242,2,235,215)
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode off.
ftp> mget *.iso
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/mirror/redhat/9/en/iso" is current directory.
ftp> get shrike-i386-disc1.iso
227 Entering Passive Mode (208,201,242,2,33,27)
ftp: connect: Connection refused

Then I thought, I'll try FTP Explorer on WinDoze.  I got right in and I'm downloading the files.  So, let me see: my Web browser (Mozilla) doesn't work, the Red Hat Linux ftp client doesn't work, but a WinDoze FTP client does.  Is this a bug or a feature? :-)  Any ideas?

Thanx!

--Chris