[NBLUG/talk] Dual-Booting/XP repartition

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Mon Apr 7 22:54:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:38:50PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
[snip]
> Does anyone know of a 'simple' way to repartition the drive without:
> - buying PartitionMagic
> - Reinstalling XP
[snip]

I'm assuming that XP is installed with ntfs, which will make most open source
solutions for partition resizing (like fips) not work (at least AFAIK).  Off the
top of my head, I suppose you could get one of those $8 laptop IDE adapters, and
hook up the hard drive to a spare machine, backup XP (there are various ways to
do this), repartition, and restore (the method for this will correspond with
whatever method you used for backing up the XP partition) XP (with something
like ghost this would be easier but I'm assuming we are searching for a free
alternative here).

On my laptop I was able to use the included "DISE" program (Fujitsu has one of
those OEM deals where they don't ship a full XP install disc, they rely on a
disk image they store on another partition) to resize my partitions for Linux.
Does your laptop come with any similar tool preloaded?

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org