[NBLUG/talk] DSL provider recommendations?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Apr 22 10:24:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:53:05AM -0700, Steve wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:50:36AM -0400, Bob Blick wrote:
> > I love Sonic, but really there's nothing _wrong_ with Covad and it's less
> > money.
>
> Except they are always borderline bankrupt.. Think they did chapter 13 a
> year or so ago. =)  I personaly don't feel covad is stable enough.

I know people that have had good results with Speakeasy.net.

Also, there's always www.dslreports.com with prequal checks for multiple
LECs followed by a listing of ISPs that claim to support service at the
location you just checked for.  (and links to reviews of those ISPs...)

Unfortunately, all the CLECs have troubles.  Very realistically, the ILECs
have engaged in subtly-illegal anti-competitive behavior to try to keep
CLECs and non-ILEC-ISPs from making a profit.  Also, some of the CLECs had
lousy business models to start with.

(ILEC=Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier; ie, PacBell.  CLEC=Competitive LEC;
ie Covad, ATG, etc.)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore