[NBLUG/talk] Re: Stealth DMCA. Be afraid. Be very afraid...

error error at sonic.net
Tue Apr 22 10:51:01 PDT 2003

> This provision would make you a criminal for simply connecting a TV,
> PC, TiVo or VCR (all of which can "receive" communication services) to
> the cable TV line in your living room without your cable company's
> permission. It could also make you a criminal for connecting a Wi-Fi
> wireless gateway (which can "retransmit" Internet traffic) to your DSL
> or cable modem line without the permission of your ISP. "

At some point in the future I suspect that every person I know will be a
criminal on some level. This type of law is no better than the "no hats
shall be worn on sunday" type of backward law.

Freedom isn't won with guns or bombs at home.

Someone once asked me what democracy looked like, well it seems, this is
what democracy looks like. Ours anyway.

> Maybe it's time to boycott all American Movies and Music before
> the MPAA gets world domination through through stealth legislation.
> And write your state legislatures before it's too late!

Once I heard a quote:

"If your non conformist views end with your taste in music and clothing, it's all superficial and a waste."

Aren't you doing this already?

In America, consumers do have the ability to fight back en mass. Use your purchasing power to fight back if you so desire.

Go give some time or money to the EFF.

Go install Linux/BSD or something that is free for your friends and local companies.

Just don't sit on your ass and go to starbucks while whining about fascism or the DMCA.

And when I speak of fascism, I speak of Benito Mussolini (paraphrased but not badly):

"Fascism is the perfect marriage of corporation and the state."

This isn't so far off.

Things are changing for the worse at this time in our country.

It makes me sick.

It's time to fight back and it has been for quite some time.

Write letters. Converse with people about controversial issues.

These things don't bring us freedom, they are the terror.

All Hail New Rome(TM).

--
error <error at sonic.net>