[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Aug 4 22:39:01 PDT 2003

Good! Progress. I need some more information and would like to request you
do some things:

Are you running devfs or is dev a mounted physical filesystem? (I expect
you have a /dev/ mounted filesystem that is not devfs)

If you are running wit /dev/ that is not /devfs, then again, please check
to see if you have a directory in /dev called "pts"

(Do these as root)

ls -la /dev/ | grep pts
and
ls -la /dev/pts/

Also, please send me (not the list) the results of these:

strace gnome-terminal 2> /tmp/gnome-output1.txt
(as your own username in gnome)

and again:

strace gnome-terminal 2> /tmp/gnome-output-root.txt
(as root)

Different files for each. These should provide some details on what files
are being opened and where it might be getting stuck.

Thanks!
-ME