[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 11 17:21:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:27:12PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> The OpenOffice.org team has announced to Schoolforge that it intends to
> launch an education campaign in October (when OpenOffice 1.1 is released)
> and put as many copies of OpenOffice in the hands of students and teachers
> as possible.

Feh!  What for?  It's not like they can't get Microsoft Office for free!
Err.. uhh... cheap?  I mean, it's only a one-time cost?  Oh wait...
Licensing 6.0.  D'OH!

:^)

> Is anyone here interested in burning and distributing OpenOffice CD's to
> public schools?  At some time in the near future, they will release an ISO
> with OpenOffice 1.1 that supports Windows auto-run, so if you are
> interested, you should not start burning CD's just yet.

Paul Miller of LUGOD (and other LUGs up near Sac) happens to be the local
OpenOffice.org outreach guy.  He might be able to help get his hands on some
for you.

LUGOD and/or members of LUGOD might be willing to help burn discs, too.
(We've done it in the past; most recently, it has mostly been Knoppixes for
some of our exhibitions at expos and conferences; Gov't Tech Conf in Sac
back in May comes to mind.)

> I have several contacts in the Cotati-Rohnert Park school district, and I
> have a few contacts in the Petaluma school district that I might be able to
> utilize.  What other parts of the North Bay would people be able to
> distribute to?

Hehe... Get them to run Tux Paint while you're at it ;^)

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

In fact, much of the stuff out there on the GNU Win II collection would
be good, as well:

  http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/

> This project is being coordinated by "ian" (ian.lynch2 at ntlworld.com), an
> OpenOffice.org developer.  There does not appear to be any information on
> the OppenOffice.org website yet, but I can provide information (and URL's)
> as soon as I receive it.

It's great to see this being put together.  If you'd like, I'd be more than
happy to pass this on to other LUGs in Northern California
(LUGOD, SacLUG, RoseLUG, BALUG, SVLUG, PenLUG, CVALE, CSLUG, EBLUG, etc. etc.
etc... I'm subscribed to many of these LUGs' mailing lists)

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!