[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 11 20:10:04 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:00:10PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Perhaps I should talk to the Computer Recycling Center (http://www.crc.org/)
>
> and see if that can be arranged?  I'm sure that they would be interested in
> Linux, OpenOffice, and other open-source, as they would not have to pay for
> ANY of the software they would put on those computers.

Also note that for older computers, alternatives to heavy applications
like OpenOffice.org and Mozilla should be considered.

AbiWord is popular for word processing.  Gnumeric for spreadsheets.
Konqueror or Mozilla-variants (like Galeon) for web browsing.

This is especially useful if they're running Linux on the system
(where the applications in question are typically the most stable, since
they're being developed for that platform, and then _ported_ to Windows).

I don't know how well things like AbiWord run on Windows, at the moment.
I could be wrong, and they could be top-notch.  I just know that there's
VERY heavy development on OpenOffice.org for ALL platforms, not just Linux.

Therefore, it works 'just as well' on either...  AbiWord and others...
might not be quite up to snuff on Windows as they are on Linux/Unix.

Oh, and also consider lighter window managers, like IceWM or Fluxbox, rather
than KDE or Gnome...

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!