[NBLUG/talk] Linux for refurbished computers (was: Re: Distributing OpenOffice...)

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:22:00 PDT 2003

>From: Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools
>Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:11:18 -0700
>
>On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:00:10PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Perhaps I should talk to the Computer Recycling Center
>(http://www.crc.org/)
> > and see if that can be arranged?  I'm sure that they would be interested
>in
> > Linux, OpenOffice, and other open-source, as they would not have to pay
>for
> > ANY of the software they would put on those computers.
>
>Also note that for older computers, alternatives to heavy applications
>like OpenOffice.org and Mozilla should be considered.
>
>AbiWord is popular for word processing.  Gnumeric for spreadsheets.
>Konqueror or Mozilla-variants (like Galeon) for web browsing.

I'll address each of the applications you mention individually:

I got a 404 Not Found error when I tried to download AbiWord from
SourceForge (using the link on www.abisource.com)!

I got an "Unknown Host" error when I tried to access the Gnumeric website
(http://www.gnumeric.org/)!

I use Konqueror regularly, and it does seem more responsive than Mozilla.
The only feature I miss from Mozilla is "Block images from this server"
(blocking ad banners makes the web pages load faster).  It also handles FTP
better than any other web browser I've ever used.

Galeon also looks like a capable web browser.  I remember that the last time
I used it, it suffered from seemingly-random crashes, but that must have
been several versions ago.  Any Galeon users want to comment?

>This is especially useful if they're running Linux on the system
>(where the applications in question are typically the most stable, since
>they're being developed for that platform, and then _ported_ to Windows).

I'm sure that I can make them see the advantages Linux has over Windows.  I
can't guarantee that I can make them act accordingly (i.e. use Linux), but
I'll try.

>I don't know how well things like AbiWord run on Windows, at the moment.
>I could be wrong, and they could be top-notch.  I just know that there's
>VERY heavy development on OpenOffice.org for ALL platforms, not just Linux.

Heavy development for ALL platforms is certainly a plus.  It means that a
user doesn't have to switch to Linux now, but when he or she does, the
transistion will be easier, since most of the applications will be the same.

>Therefore, it works 'just as well' on either...  AbiWord and others...
>might not be quite up to snuff on Windows as they are on Linux/Unix.
>

>Oh, and also consider lighter window managers, like IceWM or Fluxbox,
>rather
>than KDE or Gnome...

Well, I think that the last thing anyone wants is for a third-grader's first
experience with Linux to be looking at the screen and saying "Huh?" (as I
did when I saw the default setup for fvwm in RedHat 7.1).  Do you, or
another, know how to configure one of those "lighter" window managers with a
look and feel that would be familiar to a Windows veteran?