[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Aug 12 17:15:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:33:53PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> It might be possible to set up a computer with a minimal window manager such
>
> as fvwm or any of the other lightweights that have been mentioned, and have
> OpenOffice start up immediately.  It would also be possible to cause the
> user to log out as soon as OpenOffice closes, but I don't think I'd want to
> go *that* far.

I think I've also heard of a version of OpenOffice.org which is
'prelinked,' which means it comes up quite a bit faster.  (Still dog slow,
but not AS dog slow ;^) )

What it does is kind of 'get around' the whole class name mangling
(or whatever it is) that has to happen when a C++ app first starts up.

I'm pretty _sure_ it was OOo that I saw doing this.  It could've been
Mozilla. ;^)  I'll see if I can remember who showed it to me, and ask them
which it was, and where they got it.  (Pretty sure this was for Debian Woody)

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!