[NBLUG/talk] Linux for refurbished computers (was: Re: Distributing OpenOffice...)

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue Aug 12 17:24:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:57:18PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> OpenOffice is a pig of an application.  It may do good stuff, but it's
> not for slow hardware.  That's why abiword + gnumeric might be a better
> choice for slow hardware.

Yes it is a pig.  I'll try and mention alternate apps tonight.  gnumeric in
particular kicks booty.  It starts and loads a spreadsheet in 4-5 secs.
ooffice talkes about 20 just to load.  However, once ooffice is in RAM
it's not bad.

> Mozilla is a pig too.  Galeon is a little lighter because email,
> newsgroups, etc are stripped out, but I wouldn't call it lean and mean -
> it's sluggish but useable on my 180MHz K6 box with 128MB of RAM.
> Mozilla does not need to be loaded too (at least in Debian).

Has anyone mentioned mozilla-firebird yet?  It's quite nice.  Reminds me
of the galeon of old.  Fast to load and render, and doesn't have the
brain-dead user interface of mozilla proper.  There are debian packages
too.

> } I still can't get the Gnumeric website to load on my computer.  Is anyone
> } else having problems with the Gnumeric website?

The url for gnumeric is:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/

(I think you said you were going to gnumeric.org)
Hint: http://www.google.com/search?q=gnumeric "Take me there"
Static web pages might get out of date, and thus break links, but google
is king!

-troy