[NBLUG/talk] X11, Xinerama, and Kernel Updates -dual monitors and redhat

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Sun Aug 17 08:52:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 14:41, Dave Rohling wrote:
> When I ran the up2date on my Redhat 9.0 box, which was properly configured
> for dual monitors, the update broke my dual monitor configuration. My video
> driver and XF86Config file are still there, and when I boot into the
> previous kernel, it works. Any idea what could have changed? Does this mean
> it is something in the Kernel itself?

I noticed similar but different issues on a multimedia machine I use to
watch TV on. It's running RH 9, and it seems one of the kernels I
upgraded to did not have module support for many of my peripherals. Of
course the previous kernel came with just about everything compiled as
modules.

Not sure why RH went that way, but I bet in your case the new kernel
does not have modules compiled for your setup. Thus going back to the
previous kernel and the problem going away. I would boot the working
kernel and do a lsmod or dmesg to see what is either compiled into your
kernel and what is loaded. Then boot the other and compare.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.