[NBLUG/talk] Open Office

rhayes at silcom.com rhayes at silcom.com
Tue Aug 19 18:11:01 PDT 2003

Dave,
What features are you using in Outlook? If just email, then of course there
are many options. Group calendaring: there are some terrific open source web
based solutions. Certain of the more esoteric Exchange functions are not
available *yet* without purchasing a proprietary replacement for the Exchange
Server (Samsung has one, it used to be free from HP before they sold it, but
MS poisoned the well because the system worked too well and was threatening
Exchange as much as two+ years ago) and there is a new fully GPL'd package
that is still in it's early stages called -- I believe -- Chandler. You can
probably find it on sourceforge.

If you're not using the esoteric features of group ware within an exchagne
server, pretty much all the functionality you could want is already available
in individual packages with higher reliability and data access.

Robert Hayes