[NBLUG/talk] Multiple Server Setup Advice

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Aug 20 10:21:01 PDT 2003

     Love to. Don't have the cash to spare, so I'm mostly limited to
upgrades involving work. My recent major purchase ($40) involves a
SCSI 8mm tape drive. Most of my hardware is donated and my wife
generally gets all the newer stuff (her blazing hot K6-233) as she's
the game player.

     I'm making more money than I ever have in my life and yet my acutal
income is less than when I had a part time job selling CDs. The
economy sucks and I'm trying all sorts of inovation with my store to
put it on the right track. On the other hand I'm getting experience
working as a Admin and Programmer, which should prove useful sometime
soon. I've got one JC certificate and should have another this
semester.

      Ack, sorry to go into detail. Enough of my problems. I might get a
router as I know I can hear the hard drive on the server click when
I surf and at the very least that would be less wear on the server.
I'll probably upgrade to the PP200 although ram appears to be
limited to 128megs unless I get 64meg simms (supposed to cause a
performance hit on VS440FX motherboards). I also had an idea of how
to re-arrange things to turn a 20 second, CPU intensive search into
a 1 second CPU light search.

                                   -Walter Hansen
                                   aka Gandalf Retlaw